Annapolis Royal, Nova Scotia - Where History Meets Opportunity

Toll Free: 1.877.522.1110

Phone: 902.532.2043

162-164 St. George Street

162-164 St. George Street, Annapolis Royal, Nova Scotia, B0S 1A0, Canada

Formally Recognized: 1982/01/25

Side Facade, 2017

Front Facade, 2017

South West Elevation

East Elevation

South East Elevation


Other Name(s)
Murray House

Links and Documents

Construction Date(s)
1873/01/01 to 1916/01/01

Listed on the Canadian Register: 2006/01/14

Statement of Significance

Description of Historic Place

The Murray House at 162-164 St. George Street, Annapolis Royal, N.S. is a two-and-one-half-storey wood-frame structure that was built in the 1780s. It is located in the historic waterfront area of Annapolis Royal, adjacent to the street and in close proximity to other house of similar style and age. The municipal designation includes the building and surrounding property.

Heritage Value

Historic Value:

The historic value of 162-164 St. George Street, as recognized in its municipal designation, is found in its early construction and its association with several of the prominent Annapolis Royal families. Loyalist refugees, who doubled the population of the colony in two years, probably built the house in the 1780s. It is possible that the house incorporated a smaller building of much earlier construction. From 1808 to 1868, members of the Ruggles family, who were influential in the commercial life of the town and descendants of the prominent Loyalist Brigadier-General Timothy Ruggles, owned the building. It was later owned by James W. Johnston, Premier and later Lieutenant-Governor of Nova Scotia. There is evidence that it was used by Ruggles as a rental property. From 1873 to 1916 the building served as an inn, owned by various businessmen of the town, including Christopher Pickels, Frank Pickels and William Edwards.

Architectural Value:

The architectural value of 162-164 St. George Street is found in its modified Georgian style. The building has retained much of its original Georgian appearance, including the fanlight over the front door and the symmetrical balance of two windows on each side flanking a central door and five windows above. However, the strict balance of the Georgian style is abandoned with the additional door on the far right of the front façade. This section may have been an early addition. The lack of eave overhang differentiates it from many other Georgian buildings in the town. As is typical of the residences in this part of town, the house is situated very close to the sidewalk, and is an important contributor to the town’s collection of eighteenth-century wooden buildings.

Source: Heritage Property Files, Map #210, 162/164 St. George Street, Town of Annapolis Royal.

Character-defining Elements

Character-defining elements of 162-164 St. George Street relate to its modified Georgian style and include:

- central doorway and symmetrical façade;
- bay on the far right of the front façade;
- wooden fanlight over the front door;
- wood shingle siding;
- wood window frames and trim;
- positioning immediately at the streetline.

Recognition

Jurisdiction
Nova Scotia

Recognition Authority
Local Governments (NS)

Recognition Statute
Heritage Property Act

Recognition Type
Municipally Registered Property

Recognition Date
1982/01/25

Historical Information

Significant Date(s)
1873/01/01 to 1916/01/01

Theme - Category and Type
Expressing Intellectual and Cultural Life
Architecture and Design
Peopling the Land
Settlement

Function - Category and Type

Current
Residence
Single Dwelling

Additional Information

Location of Supporting Documentation
Heritage Property Files, Town Hall, 285 St.George Street, Annapolis Royal, Nova Scotia

FED/PROV/TERR Identifier
02MNS2155